This guide is the most recent guide to root the Samsung Moment. With this process that you are about to begin, you will be updating your Samsung Moment to Android 2.2.2 codename Froyo. With this version of Android, you’ll be able to stand right next to your friend who just spent $500 on his or her phone and brag that you have the latest software and didn’t have to pay a penny! Anyways, let’s jump right into the guide and get this party started!
How to Root the Samsung Moment
We will be using a few different files that you need to download. These files are:
- CrapKernel v2.2
- Install the SamsungMoment_Update.exe file to your computer. Try to make note of what directory the program installs to, because you may encounter a slight variation in path, if any, in a few minutes.
- We now need to install Stock Android 2.1 to our phones in order to do this update. You need to place the SPH_M900_MR4_DJ07_REL.tar file that you downloaded into the following folder: (may vary) C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary . Do not extract this .tar file. Just copy and paste it into the Binary folder, making sure nothing else is in that folder.
- Run the Samsung Updater tool. Do this by selecting the program: Click Start > All Programs > Phone Flash (or Samsung Electronics) > Samsung > SWUpgrade. Follow ALL instructions provided in the program. If you have trouble getting a connection, please disconnect the phone, close the SWUpgrade program, then restart SWUpgrade, and then plug phone into USB. I have had several occasions where I had to do this multiple times to get it to connect properly (I am on Windows 7 64-bit).
- Once your phone is flashed to stock Android 2.1, we will need to install a recovery program so we can flash the kernel and the Froyo ROM! You need to go back to this folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung Electronics\SWUpgrade\Models\Binary and remove the SPH_M900_MR4_DJ07_REL.tar file and replace it with the recovery3_1_1.tar file that you downloaded. Nothign else should be in the folder except for the recovery .tar file. Do not extract this .tar file. Just copy and paste it into the Binary folder, making sure nothing else is in that folder.
- Run the SWUpgrade program again. Do this by selecting the program: Click Start > All Programs > Phone Flash (or Samsung Electronics) > Samsung > SWUpgrade. Follow ALL instructions provided in the program. When you are finished, reboot your phone. If you have trouble getting a connection, please disconnect the phone, close the SWUpgrade program, then restart SWUpgrade, and then plug phone into USB. I have had several occasions where I had to do this multiple times to get it to connect properly (I am on Windows 7 64-bit).
- Now we need to copy M900-EB28-v1.1.zip & crap22_led.zip to your SD card. Do this by plugging your phone into your USB port and selecting “Mount SD Card” (or similar option) when prompted. Most Windows computers will pop up a box asking you what you want to do with the drive you just inserted. Select ‘Open to View Files’ (or similar option). Create a folder called sdx in the root of the SD card, then enter the sdx folder and create a folder called zip. Paste the M900-EB28-v1.1.zip & crap22_led.zip files into that zip folder. Do not extract these files. Just copy and paste them into the sdx/zip/ folder.
- Now, we need to boot into recovery mode. Turn your phone off. Make sure it’s not connected to USB. Press and hold the following three buttons until your recovery loads: Volume-Down, Talk, and End.
- We are ready to flash the new ROM and kernel to the phone. Follow all these instructions, step by step, making sure not to skip any. From the recovery menu (black with green text):
- Scrolling is done with the Volume-Up and Volume-Down buttons. Selecting an item is done by pressing the OK button (between Talk and End buttons). Confirming is done by using the HOME button. Going back is done by using the BACK button.
- Scroll down to Advanced Options and select it.
- Click Clear Dalvik Cache, and confirm.
- Go back to main menu.
- Scroll to Apply ZIP from SD Card. Select it.
- Scroll to the M900-EB28-v1.1.zip file and select it, then confirm. This will install your Android 2.2.2 (Froyo) ROM.
- Once your phone is done installing and its booted up regularly, turn it back off and go back into recovery using the steps outlined in Step 7 above.
- In the recovery menu, select Apply ZIP from SD Card again, and this time select crap22_led.zip and confirm to install it. This will install the kernel that pretty much makes everything work smooth on your phone.
- Once installed, go back to the main menu one final time. Go into the Advanced Options menu again, and this time select and confirm the option to Wipe/Factory Reset. This will wipe the phone of all data that it wrote to itself during these installs. Once this is done, in the main menu, select Reboot to System. This first boot can and will take a long time – anywhere from 3-10 minutes – because the phone has to rewrite a ton of files to make operation smooth.
Congratulations! Your phone is now rooted and running Android Froyo! You may want to boot your phone back into recovery and select the backup/restore option, and create a nandroid backup, just to be safe. Enjoy!
Added: It looks like you may also need to apply a GPS fix to your phone, so please follow the guide titled GPS Fix for Samsung Moment Running Android 2.2.
Added: If you are having trouble getting your computer to recognize your Samsung Moment, please follow the guide titled Installing USB and ADB Drivers for Samsung Moment.